Oskar Kokoschka was born on 1st March 1886 in Pöchlarn at the river Danube, Lower Austria. Soon after his family moved to Vienna, where he started to study at t he School of Arts and Crafts in 1904. Then in 1907 he became a member of the „Wiener Werkstätte“ until 1909 and was influenced by his professor Carl Otto Czeschka in developing an original style. His friend and mentor was Adolf Loos, through him Oskar Kokoschka got to know Herwarth Walden, his was editor of the magazine “Der Sturm” and founder of the same-named gallery, both was notably important for the spread of expressionism, cubism and futurism. They worked together until 1916. Since 1912 Oskar Kokoschka participated at the "Internationale Kunstausstellung des Sonderbundes" in Köln, but also in Zürich, Budapest, München und Stuttgart. From 1917 to 1923 Kokoschka lived in Dresden. He got a professorship at the Academy in Dresden in 1919 but due to his many travels he was often absent. From 1934 to 1938 Oskar Kokoschka worked in Praque. On 19th July 1937 the exhibition „Entartete Kunst“ was opened in Munich in the art museum „ Haus der Kunst“, there eight of his works were pilloried. In October 1938 Oskar Kokoschka fled of National Socialism to London, where he got member of "Free German League of Culture", the "Freien Deutschen Kulturbund" and the "Free Austrian Movement". In July 1953 the "Internationale Schule des Sehens" was founded in Salzburg. His last residence was in Villeneuve at the Lake Geneva. He died on 22th February 1980.